Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Canine Sense - Did You Know

Check out these articles by Dr. Stanley Coren (BC, Canada) Canine Corner

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Games Dogs Will Play

Today was one of the nicer days we've had in awhile ... no rain, no major windchill and some sun finally peaking out ... I remembered today to take my camera with me when out with the dogs this morning. They were certainly bent on some good tug of war games with each other!

How many shelties does it take to play tug?

The lab boarder decides he's a sheltie too!

While the others are off doing their business, Timber & boarder Shadow get into a good tug game. Got several other pictures as I watched and waited to see who would give in .... tough call ...

a bit of a stand-off

Timber (eventually) wins! Then sits and waits as if to say ... "Now which one of you shelties want to try that again?!!!"

We now get into a fetch game with the smaller rope .... of course Timber, the retrieving dog is better at this game, but the shelties do get into the act.

All the while I'm trying and capture pics at the same time.

6 comments:

Kav February 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

You got some great shots! Made me want to get out there and frolic with them!

I do have a question about playing tuggy though. I had read a training book that said playing tuggy would instil aggression and it shouldn't be allowed -- particularly if it's been human and dog. Any views on that?

Shelamo Shelties February 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

Yes you will read many books on tug games & possibly creating aggression ... hard to write about it all here ... you need to consider a couple of things - one the breed - does it have an inherent desire & exhibit the behaviour in other ways ie:grabbing tugging their lead; your slippers; is your dog dominant over you? have you taught your dog that YOU are the one that ends the 'game' at which time the dog will 'settle'. If you attend a large agility competition you will see many owners who are constantly doing tug with their dogs before & after their runs. So much I wonder whether the owner will end up with a dislocated shoulder!

Kav February 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

Thanks for the info. Now that my one sheltie is an only, I'm trying to find different ways to play with him. He and his sister used to wrestle and chase and tease each other and I've discovered just how much energy that expended. Poor boy, I'm trying to liven up his life a bit other than the walks and ball games in the yard.

Unknown February 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

Great shots! someone sent me an email the other day about group 7 at Westminster being changed to Monday night. It was from you!!! I replied 'oh well ... I will be there this year so ..." :o) I am off to NY next Sunday to see the show! First time at WKC. Should be fun!!!! Mr Shadow will be staying home with his favorite house sitter!!

Shelamo Shelties February 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

Jane, it wasn't me ... I just found out today and posted on one of my Cdn Sheltie yahoo lists.

ENJOY WM! One of my things I'd like to do in life

Unknown February 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

Brain dead me ... I got the email today and 'assumed' the person picked up the email 'the other day' Turn out she got it today too. So your news travels fast!!!

WKC has been on my list since I was 10 and read a book about someone taking their dog there. That was pre-sheltie days for me and before I had ever entered a competition ring. We could sneak an extra person in the room if you want to jump in at the last minute ... train leaves MTL on Sunday the 14th ...


Followers

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP