Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Canine Sense - Did You Know

Check out these articles by Dr. Stanley Coren (BC, Canada) Canine Corner

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Loss Of A Dear Friend And Mentor

Last night, suddenly without warning Kerry Proctor, Arhope Kennels, Ottawa passed away. Kerry stopped breeding around 1998, so her kennel name is not out there visibly with dogs being shown today. Am sure tho, a lot of you just might have her kennel name in some of your pedigrees, especially some of today's prominent dogs that have Arhope Nationview Bombshell ROMC in there. She was to me, my 1st mentor, always willing to share her wisdom on any doggie topic. When my life settled to where I had time for a dog in 1988 I went to the Kars Dog Show in July to check things out and saw a lovely red sable boy being handled by Diane Biggar. His call name was 'Wolfie', Ch Arhope Bold and Gold CD, an Am Ch Sunnybrook's Heritage Spirit grandson. Kerry showed up and I followed her back to her house, only to have a mini seminar for 4 hrs on just about everything sheltie. I can still remember her holding a ruler to pictures in the sheltie magazines showing me where the front assembly & feet should come in reference to the head/neck, while puppies nibbled at my toes. I left there with an 8wk a grandson of 'Wolfie's' who became my best bud & reintroduced me to obedience.

She had a lovely tri boy that she had co-bred with Diane but wouldn't let him go. Later that fall she offered him to me as a starting point in showing & breeding. He became Ch Arhope Simply Sinful CDX.
In Kerry's later years she spent most of her energy in dogs helping foster many through our local Humane Society along with the tougher cases I received in thru CSSA sheltie rescue. Am sure the Bridge was full of shelties just waiting to welcome her. She leaves behind her husband Earl. Until we meet again Kerry, may you enjoy armfuls of shelties.

0 comments:


Followers

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP