Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Canine Sense - Did You Know

Check out these articles by Dr. Stanley Coren (BC, Canada) Canine Corner

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Unkown Plant - Finally Named

Last year I posted pics of a garden plant I had, yet couldn't identify it. Was told to bring it to our local nursery in when it's in full bloom, which is now, June. So I took it to one of the flowering spikes in and got an answer. It is a Valerian!
As noted on one site ... "In the 16th century Valerian plant served as a perfume. Today the plant’s root covered with hairs is widely used for medicinal purposes; it serves as a sedative. It is of common knowledge that a cup of Valerian tea reduces stress, and aids falling asleep with no difficulties. It is a perfect aromatherapy herb for the bath as well. Valerian makes nice flower arrangements."

I can attest to the to aroma, and putting it in flower arrangements, but haven't tried the tea/stress part :) Sounds too complicated for me, so I'll just enjoy it's beauty and fragrances.

What I will do tho, is figure out the proper location and how to get it to seed properly so I can ensure more propagation next yr. Just love this plant!

2 comments:

Kav June 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM  

It's a pretty flower. How long do the blooms last? I wonder if the stress and sedative properties would work on a prey-driven dog! LOL

Shelamo Shelties June 17, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

They last for a good 3-4 wks; a wk or so in water in the house. The smell is SO worth it. They continue to keep their fern like leaf cover till frost hits.
Herding or prey drive, we can sometimes get the 2 confused!


Followers

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP